The Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) established by an Act of the National Assembly in 2002: Federal Road Maintenance Agency (Establishment, etc) Act 2002, and Federal Road Maintenance Agency (Amendment) Act 2007, commenced her operations in 2003. FERMA has two operational Departments (East and West). Each of them is headed by an Executive Director.
The Operations Department is charged with the responsibility of managing road maintenance activities in the various zones comprising of the following:
- North Central West Zone (FCT, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa & Niger states)
- North West Zone (Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto, & Zamfara states)
- South West Zone (Ekiti, Ogun, Ondo, Osun & Oyo states) and;
- Lagos Zone (Lagos East, Lagos Central & Lagos West)
- The zones were recently re-structured for effective monitoring, thus:
- North Central I (FCT, Kogi, Nasarawa & Niger states)
- North West I (Kaduna, Kano & Katsina states)
- North West II (Kebbi, Sokoto & Zamfara states)
- North East I (Borno, Jigawa & Yobe states)
- South West I (Ekiti, Kwara, Osun & Oyo states)
- South West II (Lagos I, Lagos II and Ogun states)
- Each zone is headed by a Zonal Co-ordinator (ZC) and each state is headed by a Federal Road Maintenance Engineer (FRME).
- The Map Of Nigeria Showing All Federal Roads