1. What is FERMA Act?
The Federal Roads Maintenance Agency’s (FERMA) Act is an enactment in 2002 by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria used in the establishment of the Agency (FERMA) and matters connected therewith.
2. How is road maintenance infrastructure paid for in Nigeria?
Road maintenance infrastructure is paid for from the national appropriation (budget).
3. Does the Nigeria government spend more on new roads/bridges or on maintaining existing federal roads?
The Federal Government spends more on new roads/bridges.
4. How many miles of roads are in Nigeria?
The federal roads is about 36,000km.
5. Who designs and builds roads and bridges?
Federal roads and bridges are designed by the Federal Ministry of Works in collaboration with designated consultants, and constructed by reputable contractors.
6. How important is the road maintenance to the Nigeria economy?
Road maintenance is of great importance to the Nigeria economy as maintained roads creates ease of movement of goods and services from every length and breadth of the nation which invariably enhances and improves the economy directly.
7. How safe is the Nigeria Highways?
The Nigeria Highways is relatively safe.
8. What is the Federal government’s investment on road infrastructure improvements?
Although, under the new Highway Development and Management Initiative of the Federal Government, private individuals will be permitted to build, operate or maintain assets on some federal highways that are up for concession. However, Federal Government is at the moment the sole financier of the road infrastructure in Nigeria.
9. What States have the best and worst federal roads and bridges?
The Federal Capital Territory has the best roads and bridges while the South-Eastern states have the worst federal roads and bridges in the nation.
10. What materials and equipment are used to maintain federal roads and bridges?
While there are various equipment used in road maintenance, here a few: road grader; forklift truck; crawler excavator; Truck crane; etc.
Materials include asphalt is commonly used for road construction. Concrete used for its flexibility (gravel); soil is the primary material used for the foundation.
11. What is the condition of federal roads network?
12. How does road construction impact wetlands and the various different topography/soil in Nigeria?
13. How extensive are environmental reviews as it pertains to road maintenance?
14. What is the public’s role in road maintenance system development decisions?
15. How much does it cost to maintain federal roads?
16. How much does the average Nigerian motorists pay as tax for road maintenance?
17. What jobs are available in the Nigeria highway maintenance industry and what does it pay?
18. How much will it cost to improve Nigeria’s highways?
19. How much road capacity is added annually in Nigeria?
20. How much does each naira/kobo from the fuel pump charge generate for road maintenance?